Sunday 10 April 2011

My new-fangled book reading device thing

Well owning a good many books and being a regular novel reader, I was reluctant to venture down the route of e-books and e-book readers. I always like to hold a book in my hand and thumb through the pages as I read. Anyone who has seen my collection and knows me will be more than aware of how protective I am of my book collection; no damaged covers, creases down the spine or any signs of wear and tear, and all put in the correct order and categories... a bit of OCD showing there ;-) My largest collection (all having been read!) is for Forgotten Realms, which take up a complete bookcase. My Warhammer 40,000 collection is growing more now too, although I have sold some of the less-enjoyable books on ebay to clear up some room. As well as a smattering of other shared-world novels, there are various other novels from other genres and numerous reference books which I have on shelves throughout the house (split into categories in each room, of course!). So, needless to say, i'm a big lover of books! The thought of getting an e-book reader was outrageous, but the more I looked into it and read reviews, the more I was becoming intrigued and convinced. My annual bonus came at just the right time of intrigue, so I bought the 3G Amazon Kindle! Wow! I'm impressed. I now have a lot of my current novels in e-book format, as well as hundreds of other novels that have often caught my eye but never bought the hardcopy and more books that I could read in a lifetime loaded onto the Kindle, and it's taken up only around 30% of the storage capacity!

The screen is very crisp and clear and the lack of backlight makes such a difference. It feels just like reading off an actual physical page. I was also dubious and baffled by the device not having a touch screen, but having now used the navigation buttons, I can see that this way is much better; no finger smears on the screen and little movement to turn pages, with just one hand which would be difficult if it was touch screen. There are a few things i'd like to see improved or added to the device, which being the person that I am, I sent to Amazon's feedback account! Hey if you don't ask, you don't get! Overall i'm very impressed with the device and reading is easier and more seamless now rather than the old hat method of turning pages over in a physical book!

No comments:

Post a Comment