Wednesday 4 December 2013

The Heresy takes root...and ultimately possesses me!


As much as I told myself I wasn't interested, tried to resist, focused in other aspects, I have finally fallen and succumbed to obsession with The Horus Heresy!

I have become more and more engrossed in 40K over the past few years, since starting the hobby in 2006, and rarely have any involvement (let alone games) in Warhammer Fantasy. Strange, actually, as I had long roots in all fantasy and an aversion to sci-fi (outside of Star Wars, of course).

With the Black Library Horus Heresy novels released a fair few years ago, I jumped onto the latest craze and began reading the books. However, being new to 40K at the time, I didn't appreciate the whole Horus Heresy or the meaning of the primarchs etc. so was probably a wrong time to enter into this range of novels. I enjoyed the first few but then it started to wane and eventually I abandoned reading them and went back to 40K novels.

So the series continued and at the time of writing this, has spawned 28 novels and several novellas. Aside from the novel line, Forge World have produced a couple of books, to date, for Heresy-era campaigns and are continually releasing models for the various legions.

Needless to say, the Horus Heresy has accelerated and gone crazy with the fans. I got back into the novels a while back and ended up going back to obtain the new Collector's Editions hardcovers. The series makes so much more sense now and I've become totally pulled into the characters and events, opening up whole new levels of appreciation to what came to be in the 40K universe and an acceptance of elements which I had previously held no interest.

Novels aside, I've decided to (slowly) build up a Legion from Forge World. It will take a lot of time, not to mention the cost, but this will be my new focus and 40K will go onto the backburner. Of course, I'll still play 40K games on the whole, whilst the Legion is being built, but want to build up a good-sized and good quality legion. At the moment, I'm looking at Alpha Legion, but will build up a vanilla legion in the meantime until more of the Alpha Legion are detailed in one of the Forge World books on the horizon.

Death to the False Emperor (and my wallet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment